A little trip down memory lane

Mary’s Bar and Restaurant in Magherafelt offers a cosmopolitan social scene with the best of entertainment and decadent food, with a wealth of character and charm. This ambience combined with the acclaimed food it serves, provides guests with a splendid location to dine and relax. It features a wealth of character and charm in the form of cosy fireplaces, oak panelling and truly luxurious decor.

The bar is steeped in history….

1876 – John Scullion rented a room in the building which was originally a house on our site on Market Street, on 1st May 1876. Gradually, room by room John bought the whole house. At the back of the bar was a part-time saddlers shop.

1940 – John’s son, Henry Scullion takes over the reins and becomes proprietor of the bar.

1950 – Mary Scullion, Johns eldest daughter becomes the proprietor. Proving to be a better business person than her brother Henry. (This is where the name Mary’s starts to arise)

1966 – In this year things are going well & Mary decides to renovate the bar.

1970 – The Function Room was opened. The bar itself was never officially called Mary’s back then, however locals lovingly adopted the name. Mary’s sisters Angela and Phyllis helped run the bar.

1986 – Mary Scullion sold the bar to local couple Eugene and Anne Marie O’ Kane.

2005 – Henry Downey purchased the bar.

2007 – Once again the bar changed hands, to its current owners Henry and Teresa Mc Glone, who also Dorman Bar in the town  & Secrets Nightclub. A total of over £4 million is spent in a complete renovation of the bar.

2008 – May 2nd is the beginning of a new era and Mary’s Bar re-opens its doors. As they say, ‘the rest is history.’

We hope you enjoy your visit to Mary’s Bar. The bar prides itself in offering superb hospitality, great food and drinks each day.

Classic Cocktails served daily

Private Events & Parties available

Steak Night every Thursday £10 Mains 5-9pm

World Gin, Whiskies & Cocktails served daily